Interview with Dr. Ramicya McGhee - Teacher and Community Leader



Dr. Ramicya McGhee

Occupation: Instructor of English and Literature at LBCC; City Councilor of Albany, Oregon 

Age: 38

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Family: Brother

Education: BA, major in Journalism, minor in Ethnic Studies from University of Wisconsin-Whitewater; MA in Journalism from Roosevelt University in Chicago; PhD in Educational Leadership Management from Capella University in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Years at LBCC: 5 1/2

Before teaching at LBCC: Teacher at Wilbur Wright College in Chicago; Tutoring Center Coordinator and Writing Consultant at Harry S. Truman College in Chicago; Teacher at Malcolm X College in Chicago.

Classes She Teaches at LBCC: African American Literature, Introduction to Poetry, Composition Writing, Intro to College Writing, Accelerated Learning Program, Research Writing

Favorite Teams: Chicago Bulls, Chicago Bears, Chicago White Sox

Other Interests: Traveling, Dancing, Food, Friends



Dr. Ramyica McGhee is an English and literature instructor at LBCC. She recently campaigned and won a seat on the Albany City Council. Currently, McGhee is balancing her responsibilities as a teacher and a public servant. 

She shares the challenges in time management between these two careers, while also carving out time for herself. McGhee also shared advice for those who want to pursue a public service career. 


How did you get your start in higher education?


I never wanted to really be a teacher. It wasn't supposed to happen. In my mind. It wasn’t supposed to happen. I went to school for journalism, I wanted to be a journalist. I was like, I'm gonna be the next Oprah. Which can still happen, by the way.

So I graduated from college, and there were no jobs, there was a recession, and they were laying off journalists who had 20-plus years experience. And I thought, man, I should have majored in new media, because all of the new media jobs. Social media folks were saying that they were keeping their jobs. But what I was trying for, there was not so much. 

So I started working for a bank, because (at the time) I'm going to still go to grad school. I'm still getting my master's in journalism, because I really loved it and I wanted more of it. So I ended up working for this bank, Northern Trust Bank. And it was really boring work. I was processing flood and hazard insurance. But it was weekly pay and I was able to do my homework for grad school while I was there. And so I decided this is boring. I don't like this. So I ended up applying for this program called Public Allies Chicago, which is an AmeriCorps program and Republic Ally of Chicago. They place you in nonprofit organizations around the city. So in AmeriCorps you do domestic work, like what the Peace Corps does across seas. So I ended up getting in the AmeriCorps program, getting into Public Allies. I knew people that were graduating from the program, but I never thought I would apply to the program until a friend told me about it. So I ended up getting selected. They give you health insurance, you get a stipend, and you get placed in these programs. 

I started working for this company that they placed me at, called Chicago Women in Trades. I was able to go out and recruit young high school women, young ladies, to go into the trades. Electrician, pipe-fitting, welding, all that stuff. So I was at a job fair one day, for the organization I was working for, and this woman walked up to me and she asked, “So what do you do?” I was telling her, “I'm still in grad school and working on my master's in journalism.” And she suggested, “Oh, how would you like to teach?” I was like, “Huh?”  She's asked again, “How would you like to teach business writing?” And I said OK. So she said, “I will be calling you in April.” Well this was February, and she ended up calling me later that month to start teaching in March. So I was like, OK, I'm gonna do it. It’s another source of income, I’ll figure it out. 

I was hired at Wright College. Through (the college's) continuing education program they had a grant where they had students from an alternative high school taking classes at the college. And at the time, I was learning so much about  nonprofit work and organizing, and all these sorts of things. So I was like, OK, I guess that's what I'm gonna teach about, because they didn't really give me what to teach about. And so I started teaching and I instantly was turned on to teaching. Like, oh, I could really do this. They really listened to me. Obviously, I'm captivating because they are captivated. They were responding. It was just a great feeling that I couldn't shake off. Like, oh my gosh, I could picture myself doing this. I could see myself doing this for a long time. And that's kind of how I got my start, working in the continuing education department, teaching high schoolers from an alternative high school. 


What made you want to pursue your doctorate?


So I describe it like this: I got my bachelor's degree for my mom, and then I got my master's degree for my dad. But getting my doctorate degree was for me. And I know it was for me because I wanted people who look like me and came from the same communities as me to know that you can get a doctorate degree and it's tangible. Like I'm real. You can touch me. You can feel me like this, this happened. I come from the same kind of neighborhood. I'm a black woman. Both of my parents are recovering addicts. You can do it, it can be done. And it's not fiction, you literally see somebody who lived down the street from you who got a doctorate and teaches. And so I wanted them to know that it is possible, and it's real. And it became my personal goal.


Why did you choose that field for your degree? 


(I chose) educational leadership management because I thought at the time I wanted to be a department chair. You are the liaison between the faculty and administration. And I can do that. I can be a liaison. I can wear that hat. I bought (into) the program because I was a journalist. A lot of (the program) was research. Well, what do journalists do? We research. We have to, that's how we get our stories. That's how we get our numbers. That's how we get our interviews. So when I was talking to somebody about the program there, they were telling me all the things they go into in the program and how they assess things. And I thought this fits really well with my personality. It fits really well with my training and I think I'm gonna like it. 


Would you still pursue a doctorate knowing what you know now?


Yep. And I would pursue it the same way? Absolutely. Would I pursue it at the same university? Absolutely. I say that because when I got awarded a faculty fellowship (at Linn Benton) the year before, and because I had done action research (through my doctoral program), my faculty fellowship mirrored those steps of action research. I wouldn't have got that training had I not been through their doctoral program that trained me to do that kind of research.

 I think that I'm the first person in my family to have a doctorate degree. I've got two cousins, one that's going for her doctorate right now. And then my aunt is also in pursuit of her’s. So I think I inspired them.


Recently, you were elected to City Council. How was the election process?


The election process was, I don't want to say it was grueling, because that's not the right word. It was a lot of work, though. Anything I do that I'm invested in becomes a lot of work for me. And then I get so involved in it really becomes a lot of work for me. And sometimes I underestimate that work. But I had a really good team around me. I had really good friends around me. And I really just focused on my race. Just on what I wanted to do, what I still want to do, and what I plan to do. And I didn't think about anything else.

During that time, campaigning, it was stressful, but it was good. I learned a lot. I think personally, I would like to create some type of onboarding for people who want to go into local politics, because there are a lot of things you don't know. If you've never done it and if you don't have anybody there holding your hand and walking you through some things you will never know. A one-day orientation is not going to get it. You need people to relate to you. And you need to know some fundamental things about the electoral process. Like money and canvassing and money.


What made you pursue public service? 


I moved here in 2017, and in 2019 I was asked to run for office by someone else who is now elected to City Council as well, Stephanie Newton. Immediately (I said) no. I don't know this place that well, I'm still getting my foot in. I'm still learning my job, learning campus culture, learning the culture of Albany. No. So that was it.

So in 2021, I think, she sent me a text message, “Hey, I know it's totally random. But did you still think about maybe running for city council?” I thought to myself, ‘Well, God put this in front of me again. And obviously, it's for a reason.’ (So I told her) let me hear what you have to say, I have a lot of questions, and I want to know something. And then I thought, why not me.

Like, not only does representation matter, but representation matters. And there's not a lot of people that look like me in this community. But the ones that do are wanting to know that we are trying, we are here, and that this is the home for you as well. 


How is balancing being a city council woman and a professor? 


Teaching is always my number one priority. Let me just say that I love teaching, it is still public service as well, it is a civic duty. So that always comes first and foremost. I am learning something new (being a city counselor). So I have to prioritize that as well. So I started customizing my schedule to fit my lifestyle.

I teach classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And normally those are really long days for me. And that's okay because I know (that on) Wednesday I don't have a class and Monday I don't have a class. But now, the city council work sessions are on Monday, and city council meetings on Wednesday. I don't teach on the days that I have city council which is great. 

So when do I find time for grading? Well, city council meetings aren't all day. Neither are City Council workstations all day. So normally I grade on Saturday, or a Monday before the city council meeting. But I also have to read the reports for city council meetings to make sure I'm up to date on everything. And those normally the agendas sort of come out on a Thursday. And so I'll spend Sunday nights looking over them. So then, Monday during the day, I can grade my papers if I have to. So I'm a great multitasker. And I plan accordingly.

And then I also have a social life too. So I like to go out on weekends, I like to enjoy my friends. 


So after a few months at the job, are you enjoying it? 


Yeah, it's been a good experience. I’ve got people emailing me about stuff. I've met with constituents before class. I wasn't even sworn in yet and somebody called me about their storm drains and I had to figure it out. I got an email this morning about someone's water bill. I don't know how much I can do with that but I'm gonna look into it. 

It's just a learning curve with anything new. And I'm okay with that. I might not have a whole lot to say right now but that means that I'm listening and I'm learning and I'm observing.

You can't come into anything thinking you know everything. I'm really okay with reaching out for help. I have no problem with saying, “I do not know, let me check.” I don't know this whole thing about the water bill situation, but I'm gonna see if there is a way to look into that, and what we are supposed to do, and how we can do it, etc.

I want to help the people in this community. That's it. It's real serious. It's just real simple. I want to help the folks in this community. So ask me again in six months, ask me in a year.


Would you go through the political process again? And knowing what you know now, would you do it sooner?


No, I wouldn't do it sooner. Would I do it again? Yeah. But I wouldn't do it sooner. And I wouldn't do it sooner, because I don't think I would have been ready. My dad used to say timing is everything. And sometimes when you are prematurely put in situations you fail. 


What advice would you give to people wanting to get into public service or politics?


Find a mentor. Or at least find somebody who's been in it before. Understand that being a political leader comes with responsibilities. I tend to think of political leadership as a form of activism. And I feel activism is not one-size-fits- all. So if you feel like you want to run for something, but you're not ready to run, maybe joining a commission or being a part of something city related or state related, so you can get kind of a bird's eye view or getting to observe things.

And do not be afraid to ask for help. And ask a lot of questions. I think people assume that I knew a lot of stuff because I had a doctorate, but my background is in education. I know education. That's my lane. I don't really have any policy.

I didn't know anything about politics. In fact, I used to say politics are so dirty I would never get into it. I used to say that years and years ago. So I can never say never.

So get a mentor, ask a lot of questions, and job shadow. If you don't want to be a city councilor, you can join ad hoc committees or commissions and try to figure out where you fit. School boards are good. And then really, really, really find a passion for something that you want to see in your community.


Comments

Popular Posts