My Introduction to the World of Photojournalism

Hello all! 

Welcome to my first post on my blog. Wow, that's something I never thought I would say. I never thought I would be the type of person with a blog. My name is Kevin McIlvenny, and I am taking my first few steps into photojournalism. 

I am currently finishing up a two year Oregon Transfer Degree, and after meeting most of the requirements for it, I decided to fill my credits with the most interesting classes I could find. That is what lead me to photojournalism. To be honest I took this class to fill a blind spot of mine. I don't take pictures. I have always been a live in the moment kind of guy, placing a greater value in experiencing something rather than documenting it. But that behavior is habit forming. And now in my late twenties, I look back and wish I had captured more of those moments to share in the future. 

But why photojournalism? Just take more pictures on your phone dummy.

Well, first attaching a goal and a grade to taking some pictures will actually get me to do it. But it's also something I don't have a connection to. I like writing, but it's not like I'm not pursing an english degree. I think I decided to participate in a photojournalism class for that quintessential college experience of trying something new and alien and seeing if I like it. Taking this class will force me to go places I wouldn't normal go and talk to people I normally wouldn't talk to. And there's a lot of value in being forced to go beyond your comfort zone.

The three goals I have for this class are: Becoming more comfortable with taking photos; going to events I wouldn't have normally gone to; and meeting and getting involved with people I never would have met. 

Having said all that, I have very little experience at taking photos. So please enjoy this blog, which will become a collection of some of the highest quality mediocre photographs this class has ever seen. 




My favorite photo I've taken on a family vacation. Waikaloa, HI. Dec 25, 2014

Student putting together a notice board in front of the student government office. Sept 30, 2022

Student studying in a quiet wing of Red Cedar Hall. Sept 29, 2022

The trees are starting to change color in the quad. Sept 30, 2022

Everybody needs a little phone time. Dr. Ramycia McGhee's research writing class. Sept 29, 2022

I think he's enjoying his first day. A student with her dog in the walkway. Sept 30, 2022



Comments

Popular Posts